It’s been three years of the release of the iconic movie Sairat (Means Wild in Love), but it is still so fresh in our minds. Sairat, the name that made people crazy, the songs that went viral and the pair of Archie-Parshya became the next Laila Majnu.
No one can forget the soft-hearted boyfriend Parshya and the dashing girlfriend Archie. And even Langdya and Salya steal your hearts being the strong pillars of friendship.
Sairat was excellent at every point of time
It was a different love story of a rich girl poor boy. And that presented the differences of caste and class wisely. A rich upper caste girl falls in love with a poor lower caste boy. They elope and face the harsh realities of life. They sail through it and start thinking it is going to be a happy ending now. But they become the victim of honour killing practices in the society.
And the harsh but realistic climax leaves an ache in the audience’s heart.
Sairat proved itself as a milestone of Marathi Cinema. It is the first Marathi movie to be watched by the people nationally. This is the first Marathi movie to enter 100 crores club and ended up earning Rupees 110 crores worldwide.
The songs like Zingaat and Yaad Lagla literally made people mad for this movie and its tracks. Director Nagraj Manjule presented a masterpiece based on the class and caste discrimination issues in India. It is said that Manjule made this movie based on his own experiences and that is why he kept the shooting locations at his own village near Karmala, Solapur.
The leading actors Akash Thosar (Parshya) and Rinku Rajguru (Archie) became superstars overnight. They became a household name in Maharashtra. And everyone started knowing these newbies because both of them gave astonishing performances in their debut films.
This movie created a revolution in the Marathi Film Industry. And it was loved by the non-Maharashtrians too. The movie was remade in many languages including the Dhadak movie starring Janhavi Kapoor and Ishaan Khattar, but it couldn’t get as much love and appreciation as Sairat had got. And Sairat the Original remained unbeatable.
Highlights of Sairat
- First Marathi Movie To Enter 100 Crores Club
- Sairat was selected for 66th Berlin International Film Festival and it got a standing ovation.
- Rinku Rajguru received the National Film Award as Special Jury Award at the 63rd National Film Awards
- After the huge success of Sairat movie, the actors and the entire staff received some extra perks out of the profit
- It is the first Indian movie that recorded its music in Hollywood’s Sony Scoring Stage, California
- Due to the massive success of Sairat, it was remade in Punjabi (Channa Mereya), Kannada (Manasu Malligey) and Hindi (Dhadak)
- Sairat grabbed 11 awards in total at the Filmfare Marathi Awards 2017 including the Best Film award.
Sairat was released on 29th April 2016. Completed 3 years today but we still can’t forget this movie that had great actors, brilliant story and chartbuster songs like zingaat and yaad lagla. The craze is still the same as it was initially.
The movie was a wild love story that was loved by the classes and the masses, by the Marathis and the Non-Marathis too. The movie that has set new records, the movie that has set higher expectations from the regional movies.
We are sure, this movie is never going to get faded away from the viewers’ minds and hearts. It is going to be the evergreen Marathi classic for sure.